Monday, March 14, 2011

Blossom Bag

FINISHED!!!  I finally just sat down and made Amy Butler's Blossom Bag.  Sew Mama Sew has the free pattern on their site. Of course I had to make it when I saw it....I love Amy Butler and I love bags so I was sold.  I was a little afraid, the bag looked complex and it was classified as advanced.  But I just knew it couldn't be that hard!  The fancy handle brackets made me a little nervous, but they shouldn't have.  This bag wasn't all that difficult to put together at all.  The worst part was the interfacing and cutting out all the pieces.  It took a whole afternoon just to get the pieces all cut out.  I didn't use home dec weight fabric because this is what I had on hand and I tend to be impulsive and wanted to make it now!  I used a little extra interfacing.  The bag is a little floppy but not bad, plus the home dec weight one would be floppy too.  One thing I did do to save time was attach the cut pieces to the whole piece of interfacing and then cut.  I didn't trace and cut the  interfacing...that would take to long and like I said before I wanted it now.  I didn't run into any problems with constructing the bag...until I got to the dividers at the end.
Making the dividers was easy....when you get to the zippered one it's just like making a zippered pouch not a pocket.  Once I realized that it was smooth sailing!  To install the dividers you pinch and sew it to them to the bag sides creating a whole thick mess of fabric.  The pattern recommends hand tacking it down but I thought my machine could handle it.  WRONG!  I busted the needle in half (no big deal) but I also got the feed dogs stuck resulting in my machine getting disassembled into a million pieces and a sweet hubby fixing it for me late at night...And he was able to fix it!  YAY!!!  So aside from that minor setback it was a very easy, complex looking bag and I will definitely make it again!

I'm linking up to Sew Modern Monday...Go check out all the other wonderfullness there!

{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations

5 comments:

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

Your bag is AWESOME!! I love that you used Amy Butler fabrics. I'm also glad to hear that this bag wasn't too difficult, because I want to start this one eventually (I'm in a sew along for the book, we're coming up to the 4th project).

I just have a question...when I saw a picture of the finished bag in the book, I was curious...do you like the length, etc. of the strap? Thanks :-)

Kristen said...

I so have to try this one! This is fabulous and that fabric is a knock out!!

Mary Jo said...

Looks fantastic!!! Great job!

Jenniffier said...

Congrats on the finish! Wonderful job!

Megan said...

Great bag! I am a sucker for all things Amy Butler too. :) Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday!

Post a Comment

I heart comments!